Thursday, November 3, 2011

Apple Butter in the Crock Pot

To go along with the previous post about an abundance of apples, and making good use of them while they are in season, I wanted to share an easy and delicious recipe for Apple Butter.  When my husband and I first got married, he was attending school in Hawaii.  Which meant I got to live there too, I know, lucky me :)
As fun and beautiful as Hawaii is, I found myself missing my family and the mainland after I had been there a couple of months.  Soon fall came, which is my favorite timeof year, and I felt even more homesick.  I wanted to do all the fun fall activities like making yummy treats, carving pumpkins, and dancing in falling leaves!
We were living with another family at the time, and shared the kitchen space with them.  Which pretty much meant that we hardly ever used the kitchen, it was just too teeny tiny to begin with and we really didn't have many kitchen utensils or appliances to work with.  My husband had found a cheap crock pot on Craigslist and that's what we did most of our dinners in.  So when neighbors gave us a big box of apples, I was unsure what to do with them.  After a little bit of online searching,  I found this awesome recipe on Allrecipes.com for an Apple Butter made in the crockpot…PERFECT!  I sat outside in the warm sun while peeling, coring, and chopping apples….threw them all in the Crock pot with some sugar and spices and let the crock pot work it's magic.  The whole house smelt amazing and I was able to get 4-5 freezer containers full that we ate on just about everything.

Once you get all of the apples peeled and diced, the recipe is easy peasy!  You can also cut back a bit on the sugar and double the cinnamon for a bit more spice if you'd like.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/all-day-apple-butter/detail.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment