Friday, November 4, 2011

Getting the most out of your Spinach

Does anybody else buy those giant bags of spinach from Costco?  Has anybody else felt horrible when they had to throw away half the bag?  Spinach is super healthy and you can get it for a pretty good deal, during the fall.  Although a giant bag may be more than your family can get through before it goes bad, if you're adamant about adding it to your dishes, chances are you can get pretty close to the bottom of the bag.  It's a great way to add some extra vitamins and iron without your pickiest little ones even knowing.

One of the great things about Spinach is that it is very versatile.  You can make green smoothies and add any misc fruits that you may need to use up.  You can add spinach to your favorite soups (think Italian-wedding soup!) or to an omelet or scrambled eggs.  You can make an awesome salad or add it to a sandwich or panini.  I have found some delicious recipes over time, on my quest to use up the last of my spinach before it goes bad.  These are a few of the recipes that have now become "regulars" in our house.

Usually when I make this minestrone recipe I leave out the red wine, add a can of diced tomatoes and any extra veggies I have in the fridge, and I usually leave out the pasta.  I also double the spinach, at least.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jamies-minestrone/detail.aspx

This frittata is one of my husband's favorite meals.  I add any extra veggies that we have (mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini…) And usually like to add bacon if we have it.  I also use any cheese that I have at the moment (it's especially yummy with feta).
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crustless-spinach-quiche/detail.aspx

For a delicious green smoothie throw some fresh or frozen berries in your blender with a handful of ice.  Usually you'll need to add some kind of liquid, water or juice.  Rinse a couple of handfuls of spinach to add and blend it up until smooth.  Add anything you'd like, to make them more nutritious or to your taste.  Try adding some yogurt or cottage cheese (gives it a little zing).  You can also mix in some oatmeal or protein powder.

Happy Spinach Eating, and hopefully less guilt for throwing away rotten spinach!

No comments:

Post a Comment