Friday, November 4, 2011

latkes/potato pancakes

This is one of my favorite things to eat! It is a traditional Jewish dish and I like to cook them when it gets close to Christmas/ Hanukkah. I do cheat and cook them throughout the year though they are too good! I can my own apple sauce and this paired with sour cream is my favorite topping. Some other things I have tried: sour cream with chives, jam, cheese, fruit and cream cheese. You can treat it as a cracker or a pancake. Have fun with the toppings! My recipe makes quite a bit,  but if you cook them you can reheat them later. I honestly love eating them and once I pop I cant stop!

4-5 peeled and grated russet potatoes
1 onion peeled and grated
1/4 cup flour
3 large eggs
salt and pepper
enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan about 1/3 to 1/2of an inch deep
topping

Heat oil in pan on medium heat
Mix everything together except the topping and oil until well mixed. (I also mix before I put the next batch in the pan)
Use a spoon to spoon batter out and drop in hot oil (be careful)
Flip once the side gets a golden brown and cook on other side until it looks the same (make sure the pan isn't too hot that the middle is still getting cooked through
Top as desired and enjoy


!

No comments:

Post a Comment